Thursday, April 16, 2009

Life continues..

We finally have internet and cable again! It took long enough! The cable company didn't have any open appointments until today and man were we counting down the days. You'd think we revolve around the computer or T.V. We really don't, I promise. It's just you lose connection with the world around you without them! For instance, here is a little story on why having internet or T.V. is good.

Last Thursday night around 9pm, day 2 in our new home- Brad is home from work, hooking up the washer, having a little trouble getting the hoses to fit properly without leaking. Finally gets them to fit and throws his uniform in to wash. I go and get Jaeden ready for bed. Daddy comes in to give him night night kisses. Both of us are walking back out toward the kitchen and I see water on the kitchen floor at the edge of our front room. The washer. Our entire kitchen, laundry room, pantry and part of the carpet when the kitchen tile ends at our front room, all flooded. We only had like 4 towels unpacked by this time and no mop since the movers forgot it in Spokane. Oh and we can't hook up our dryer because 1. It has the wrong plug, so we needed to go buy a new one. 2. We didn't have the exhaust hose, so we needed to buy that too. So we had to wring the towels out by hand. It was a lot of water. The entire washer because Brad had accidently forgot to hook up the discharge hose. Ok, so we lock Kiko in our bathroom to prevent further slipping and sliding on his part, and get to soaking up all that water. While we are in the kitchen we hear this sound outside somewhere sounding like a horn of some sort. So we open up the back door (located in the kitchen). Brad says it might just be the fan exhaust or something so we go and open our front door. We still hear it loud and clear. Did I mention that we were having a severe thunderstorm? Well we were and it was pouring rain like cats and dogs. Finally after listening out the front door it hits us what the sound we are hearing is: the tornado siren. I tell him to grab Jaeden, I'm grabbing the dog out of our bathroom and trying to take him in Jaeden's bathroom, but Kiko didn't want to go in there and got out of his collar. Brad is handing me Jaeden and trying to wrangle Kiko into the bathroom while grabbing the cell phones-our only line of communication. I go and sit in the bathtub with Jaeden, all the while he is oblivious to the concern which is good I'd assume. Better then a freaked out baby. I'm calling Brad's parents to have them look up if there is a tornado by us or to find out what was going on, Brad is looking it up on his phone. The storm was pretty much on top of us. His dad tells me that the tornado is like 9 miles west of our town and we did have a tornado watch warning. Finally the siren stops going off and the storm starts slowing down above us and the winds calm down. We leave the bathroom. I'm paranoid to put Jaeden back into his bed. Finally I give in because he was tired and kept playing in the water and we really needed to clean it up before more soaked into the carpet. So we go back to the lake we call our kitchen, laundry room, and pantry. The rest of the night is calm.

Turns out that the tornado touched down about a mile away from our home. Kind of scary if you ask me. What a welcome to Missouri we got.

So now we have our internet and our cable, and we'll now first-hand what is happening around us. I could rest easy a little bit.

And I could update mine and Jaeden's blogs :D

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so scary! I'm so glad you guys are okay!!! I'd be freaked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an adventure! I lived out that way when I was little. I remember the tornado sirens. The worst thing I remember though during storms was the golf ball sized hail! It was BAD! It also seemed to just pop up on a nice day. One minute sunny, the next dark clouds, hail, thunder and lightening! Have fun out there guys! Everyone in Spokane will miss you!

    ReplyDelete